Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mt. Fuji...finally!

I have finally seen Mt. Fuji! And it only took three separate trips to do so, but I think I appreciated it that much more.

This past weekend I went up to Fujinomiya with my friend Danielle to meet another ALT, Ashley, who lives and works in the shadow of Japan's most famous mountain. She took us around to some scenic sights on Saturday - Lake Tanuki, Shiraito Falls, and a temple whose name I have forgotten but is easily the largest temple I have yet to see in Japan. Of course it was still kind of cloudy so my pictures from that day aren't the greatest. You can't see the tip top of Fuji in them.

After a long day of walking and sight-seeing we headed to the local onsen - hana no yu - to soak our sore feet and legs. I couldn't get over that Ashley gets a Mt. Fuji view AND an onsen in her town. Tahara is nice but I think she wins when it comes to job placements!

On Sunday, I got up early and took a walk since the best time to see Fuji is in the morning. Turns out I didn't need to be worried because later in the day we headed to a local sake brewery in town for their yearly festival and had a perfect view. We drank and ate and relaxed under its shadow. Then it was back on the train and ready to work on Monday morning.

It was a great weekend with friends, Fuji, and sake. Thanks to Ashley for her hospitality! Because of her I can go home this summer knowing I've seen Japan's most famous mountain. It's definitely Japan's number one icon and I finally know why. ;)

Mt. Fuji
The view from Ashley's bedroom window. I'm soooo jealous!



Lake Tanuki
Early Sat. afternoon we were having no luck so we had some Mt. Fuji cookies instead.

Shiraito Falls
Shiraito Falls

Wasabi Ice Cream
I've tried a Wasabi Kit Kat but there was no way I was trying Wasabi ice cream but it's a specialty in Shizuoka prefecture.

Fujinomiya
How awesome would this picture be if you could see the top of Fuji? le sigh!

Fujinomiya
Lucky for me there was other beautiful scenery to look at.

Mt. Fuji
On my walk Sunday morning. A very peaceful and relaxing way to start the day.

Mt. Fuji

Mt. Fuji

Sake Festival
My friend Danielle at the sake festival.

DSCF0767

Sake festival
Onegaishimasu!

Mt. Fuji

Sake Festival

DSCF0791
These guys had more fun than we did. ;-)

Mt. Fuji
My favorite picture of the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment