Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Muggle Quidditch

I'm still in America. Spent this past weekend in North Carolina visiting family. Finally met my new cousin, Jessie, (she married into the family) and discovered she's just as big a Harry Potter nerd as I am. We got in Friday afternoon just in time to head out for some Muggle Quidditch organized by her and her friends.

Muggle Quidditch




When we got there they were in the middle of setting up the field. Our goalposts weren't the best since this was only the second game they had organized but Jessie told us we would be rockin' it Weasley style. With some duct tape and a few bricks we were finally able to get them to stand up...sorta. Then we broke off into two teams. The first game I played Beater. Dad was a Chaser and my cousin Max was our Seeker and helped me out as a second Beater. His two friends were our other Chaser and Keeper. We were down 30-0 when Max caught the Snitch and we won the game.

The second game we switched up positions and I played Chaser. I managed to score 60 points before the other team's Seeker caught the Snitch and we lost 160-60. Then it was time for some cake. As we walked over, Jessie noticed I had a huge scratch on my face where I had caught myself with my broom. "You've got a battle scar," she said, "That's awesome!"

The rest of the weekend was spent mostly hanging out and geocaching and we made sure to check out Jessie's HP-themed geocache entitled "The Portkey." When you find the first box there is an old boot with the coordinates to the next box that takes you where else but to the Quidditch World Cup (aka some nearby soccer fields.) The whole weekend was great and I hope I can play some Quidditch again sometime soon.

Muggle Quidditch

Muggle Quidditch
Rockin it Weasley style.

Muggle Quidditch
I played for Cleansweep Thunder but I was totally jealous of the other team's name.

Muggle Quidditch
My dad (guy in black shirt) played great for someone who has never read the books.

Muggle Quidditch

Muggle Quidditch
After two shortish games we took a break.

Muggle Quidditch
And ate some cake.

Muggle Quidditch
Dramatically posed to show off my Quidditch injury.

1 comment: