Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Favorite Foods from Home

I know this blog is about me in Japan, but at the moment I'm not in Japan. I'm in America enjoying all the foods I miss living in Tahara. These include...

Pretty much anything from Lulu's Asian Diner but especially Tom Yum soup, Pad Thai, and crab rangoon. The Chinese food in Japan is usually fantastic but nothing will ever beat Lulu's. I worked there two years in high school and never got tired of it. Ten years later I still can't get enough.

Wheat bread! Multi-grain bread! Anything but white bread.

Pizza that doesn't have corn, mayonnaise, or tuna on it but instead comes with pepperoni and a thick crust.

Orange freezes from UDF. The UDF might look like just a gas station convenience store but in Ohio they sell awesome ice cream, floats, and freezes.

Biscuits from Cracker Barrel. Or blueberry pancakes from Cracker Barrel or their fried chicken or anything really from Cracker Barrel.

Lemonade! Lots and lots of lemonade.

Root beer floats from the Sharonville Root Beer Stand. It's a total dive but they make their own root beer on site that is to die for.

All the many different varieties of CHEESE! Atsumi Foods actually has a pretty good sampling of cheese for a Japanese grocery store but it's still nothing to just a normal Kroger's and the Kroger's Marketplace down the road has a cheese I've been looking for for four years since I got back from France - Saint Agur - and I can't wait to spend crazy amounts of money on it.

BBQ ribs. I'm heading to North Carolina this weekend and I plan on getting messy.

Red wine that isn't served chilled. Seriously Japan what is up with the ice cubes in my red wine? I miss the selection, the cheaper prices, and wine tastings at Awakenings with my friend Judy.

Turkey sandwiches! I can't find turkey in Japan, not unless I want a whole one ordered off the internet and shipped freeze dried.


That's all I can think of for now, although there probably are more. Looking over this list though I can see why I gain weight when I visit home, not that it isn't totally worth it. :-)

2 comments:

  1. No way! I totally forgot about St. Agur after looking for it for over a year once I got back to Ohio!

    I will definitely have to keep an eye out for that.

    (And I started drooling at the mention of LuLu's.)

    ReplyDelete