Thursday, October 8, 2009

Typhoon Update

So the weather now is gorgeous - blue skies and sunny - but man it was pretty bad last night. I didn't sleep very well because the rain and wind was so loud. It's pretty windy here but this was worse than normal and then the power went out at around 4am. It stayed off until almost 1pm. Luckily I have a gas stove so I was able to cook breakfast but I still had to improvise a little. I made my toast in a frying pan since the toaster wasn't working and I used the hot water left over from boiling an egg to wash my dishes with because while my water heater is gas the controls to turn it on are electric.

Around 11 I went to the grocery store to pick up some things for lunch and discovered I wasn't the only one without power. The traffic lights were down so people were taking turns at the intersections and I shopped by candlelight at the grocery store. On the floor, lining the aisles, they had small candles sitting in cupcake tins. Although they must have had a generator because there was one room in the back that had lights on and their cash registers were working but most of the refrigerated items weren't out and you had to put your face to the shelf to see what you were looking for. The 7-11 across the street didn't even have that. They were packed to the gills with people looking for easy to cook things like Cup of Noodles while the poor cashiers had to add up all the totals by hand.

I read most of the morning, tidied up a bit, and played some sudoku, but I was ecstatic when the power buzzed on at around 1. You don't realize how much noise your refrigerator, computer, and other electrical devices make until they stop making them. The silence was starting to creep me out. I'm a product of the modern world I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Be glad you weren't on of the ones that had to be evacuated to a shelter or something! It hit local news this morning... glad to hear your ok. I guess that's why when I tried calling it didn't go through. :)

    ReplyDelete